The inevitable hard truth is that most landlords, at one time or another, will have to deal with difficult tenants. Whether they never pay their rent on time or simply enjoy complaining about every little thing (whether under your control or not), there are many types of problematic tenants. Each needs to be handled differently, depending on the issues they bring to the table. But there are a few general best practices that will help keep you from pulling your hair out in frustration. Read on for some tips and tricks when dealing with persistent tenant issues.
- Remain Calm. The first and most important thing you can do when speaking face-to-face with a difficult tenant is remain calm. Don’t raise your voice, don’t let your temper get the better of you, and don’t ever let the situation escalate to physical aggression. Try to defuse the tension and redirect any negativity into something constructive.
- Obey the Golden Rule. Treat others the way you want to be treated yourself. By simply demonstrating this in your daily interactions with tenants, you are leading by example. This may not work with everyone, but it places you above reproach.
- Maintain Records. It’s critical that you keep written records of everything you do as a landlord. This includes making and filing copies of lease agreements, as well as work orders and rent payments. By keeping meticulous records, you’ll be able to refute any false claims against your character and your work ethic.
- Be Firm. While it is essential to remain calm and treat others with respect, you shouldn’t let unruly tenants walk all over you. Conduct yourself with poise and be firm in your demands as a landlord. There may come a time when you have to issue an ultimatum: shape up or be evicted.
- Hire a Property Manager. If the pressure of dealing with clients is too much for you, hire a property manager to do the heavy lifting for you. Not only can they take care of day-to-day interactions, but they can be instrumental in screening and evictions as well.
If you’re searching for a good property manager, look no further than Talley Properties. We’ve been Charlotte’s best property manager for over 40 years. Browse our website or give us a call to learn more about our services. Contact us today to discover how we can help you!